Memorial Hall Civic Theatre,
"The Hub of the Village"
10308 Main Street
Richmond, Illinois 60071
Memorial Hall was built in 1906 by the bequest of $10,000 from Charles Dewitt McConnell, a grandson of William McConnell who was the first settler in the town of Richmond. Throughout the early history of the town, the McConnell family epitomized the industriousness and sense of civic spirit that yet today characterizes this rural village.
For 100 years now, the Memorial Hall building has been a hub around which community life in the Village of Richmond revolves, built through the foresight of Mr.
McConnell who recognized and memorialized not only the importance of belonging to a "community", but being an active participant in it.
Primarily built as a community center, the building originally housed the J.B. Rotnour Troupe in the 1930's which provided quality entertainment for the town. A number of theatre performances followed over the years and the building evolved to also serve as the community's Village Government Office, the Police Department, Community Library, a school gymnasium and a home for the American Legion and the Legion Auxiliary groups.
Currently, the Memorial Hall Advisory Board (MHAB), a Village recognized committee, is hard at work re-establishing the Village Theatre District. The building's original ticket office remains in the front foyer as does the two stairways leading up to the balcony. The stage looks over the auditorium which holds a capacity of 175 to 200 persons. All the characteristics of the original theatre boom in early Richmond are still visible inside the building and based on the momentum of the MHAB the restoration, awareness and use of the building promises to be electrifying.
The building is currently available for business, theatre and private party functions. To reserve Memorial Hall, please contact Village Hall at 815-678-4040 for further information. Upcoming events can be found under the "News & Events" link.
Donations to help restore the building are also being taken. Checks should be written out to Richmond Memorial Restoration Fund and sent to Village Hall at 5600 Hunter Drive, Richmond, Illinois 60071.